Thursday, March 18, 2010

Amazing Grace




God places burdens in our hearts. One of mine is for the Muslim people. I was honestly surprised when God sent us to Ethiopia …there were two other countries, one in North Africa and one in Central Asia, that we prayed about. We would have certainly worked with Muslims because that is their full population. In Ethiopia this number is about 50%. But we came here knowing it’s not about us and that God’s plans are too big for us to understand. I quickly found out about a local group of people who are working to change the statistics in this country. Last week I had the opportunity to see the fruit of seven years worth of their labor. The beautiful village of Bulbula. Over eighty families live here, in their huts, with their goats, and donkeys, and crops. They all gathered under a beautiful tree to greet us. They have NOTHING when we look upon them with our western eyes. But they have EVERYTHING they need. They are poor and dirty …. The children in rags at best …food is minimal …no electricity or running water. Yet their eyes had life and they danced and sang. They lifted their hands to heaven …giving thanks for all they had. They know they are blessed because He lives in their hearts …because they have been set free …because they have all they need. And on this day He had sent others who might be an answer to prayer. A prayer for little homes made with sticks and mud …a prayer for a small building to worship in ….a prayer for a school room for the youngest children.
I am challenged because it takes so little to give them so much. This little village is surrounded by Muslim villages …I believe the children of Bulbula will one day evangelize them. They are only one generation from Allah ….you see …this whole village has converted. God is doing amazing things. I am so grateful that I was allowed to witness God’s goodness …that I was allowed to be blessed by these wonderful people …my brothers and sisters.

3 comments:

Julie said...

How cool Kelly! God is so good and I am so glad you are getting to experience these things! I am so glad I got to meet you and look forward to keeping in touch! What a beautiful village!

Sarah said...

Delighted to meet you. We too served as a family with YWAM and were on a journey to Ethiopia, to bring home our little ones.

Hugs to you,
Sara

Anonymous said...

All I can say is Amazing! Thank you for bring God's true graces to our everyday lives!
Heather