Monday, October 5, 2009

Hush Litttle Baby...

We were on our way home from the store, walking down a street that was new to me. I take in all the people with my eyes, especially those lining the streets; the homeless, the unwanted and the down and out. Suddenly, there she was…I first noticed the pink hat on her tiny head…it was a baby, a very small baby. She was covered to her chin with a blanket…and her face…well, it had obviously been handcrafted by the Master…she was gorgeous. As quickly as I was amazed at her beauty and the fact she was on a mat on the ground next to her homeless mother…we passed by and kept going. They don’t stop for much around here. I looked back over my shoulder and wanted to run back and pick her up…but I didn’t…I couldn’t…she was not mine. I was told the mother would not give her up… she brought in too much money. I want to go back and get her…I am haunted…truly she is etched in my mind and heart. I think of her through each day and night. Why didn’t I stop? Would God let our paths cross again? Was she hungry? I would go back alone…but I don’t know the way or the language. I asked if they would take me back…”sure, maybe tomorrow”…that was 3 days ago. I think they find it funny that I want her…that I want to help. Maybe they are numb to it. After all, it’s my first encounter with a newborn living on the street. I want to pray for God to remove her from my mind, but I don’t…because that’s all I have of her. I want to remember…I don’t ever want to be numb. I am here not to judge “why” they are on the street but to be Jesus to them however I can…even if I don’t know how. I pray for her…that I would have another chance…it is possible…with God. Lord, I feel so helpless… I am broken… a failure.
“He will defend the afflicted among the people and save the children of the needy: he will crush the oppressor.” Psalms 72:4

3 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog. Thank you for your ministry. Ps. 72:4 is such an encouragement! He is their defender!

Lynda said...

Remember the story of the starfish - - you can't save them all but you can help save the ones in front of you. I, too, pray that none of us will grow insensitive to the needs around us. Praise Him for the great word pictures HE has you paint for us. May they be piercing our hearts to pray more fervently.

HBWhite said...

Kelly, you are so NOT a failure. Think of those in your home that you are physically helping, and remember that God hears all of our prayers. We will pray for the pink hatted little girl as well. Prayers from around the world will ring out.