Thursday, December 17, 2009

I know...but

These three words leave my daughter’s lips way too often….and they normally send my head spinning. I consider it backtalk and disrespectful. She is certainly allowed an opinion, but I believe there is a better way to verbalize it. These three words seem to cancel whatever I’ve just said…treating it as unimportant…dismissing it for her “own” better idea. It’s something I’ve worked long and hard on to correct. Recently I was frustrated and angry after an “I know…but” encounter…and God began to reveal something to me. God likes to speak to us in a language we understand…so He often uses our lives to parallel what He wants to teach us. What I realized was this….I say these same 3 words to my Father way too often! I can hear God say “I will never leave you” and I respond “I know…but how will I manage being all alone”. I can read God’s promise “Do not worry about what you will wear or what you will eat” and I respond “I know…but where will I get the money to buy what I need”. He reminds me “I knit you together in your mother’s womb” and I respond “I know…but I don’t really like this or that about myself”. Oh, how frustrated my Father must be with me some days…but His head never spins and He never looses it. He continues to gently correct me and love me anyway. How often in daily life do each of us say to our Wonderful Father, “I know…but”….many times every day I believe. “My grace is sufficient”… “I know…but”… “I can do miracles” … “I know…but”… “With Me ALL things are possible”… “I know…but” … “I called you to adopt so I will make a way”… “I know…but”… “You are forgiven”… “I know…but”. Okay, I’ll stop…I’m sure you get the point. I know that I do this but until it was done to me I wasn’t really thinking about how disrespectful I was being to my God. Questioning His authority and treating Him as if somehow He doesn’t know what He’s talking about. Absurd!!!!!!!….just like a ten year old who thinks she knows more than her mother! I’m trying so much harder to just accept what He says… no questions, no doubts, no buts…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sadly true of so many of us so many times. If we just followed Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." then we would all have so much more peace in our lives.

We love you Kelly and Kenli!
Heather

Anonymous said...

Miss you both and Praying for y'all.

Amanda

Rachel Sarah said...

Good Word! Thank you! - Rachel (pursuing adoption through YWAM Adoption Ministry)

Lynda said...

Oh, Kelly - - that is soooooo good. I believe one of the many reasons we receive the blessings of our precious children is so we can know The Father's heart a little bit better. It is always great when we recognize there is a lesson to be taught. Thanks for pointing out a great one to us.

Tracy said...

Oh Kelly-- I hope you know how much it means to have you praying for our kids in ET during court! I just cried when I got your comment! Thank you so much for your faithfulness and heart for His justice!

Love this post!